Responsible for total construction effort to ensure home is constructed in accordance with design, budget and schedule. The Superintendent will ensure the profitability and reputation of the company are optimized through field planning and efficiency without jeopardizing the quality, safety, cost or completion of the project.
- Manages total construction effort to ensure project is constructed in accordance with design, budget and schedule.
- Responsible for all matters pertaining to jobsite safety, project schedule, quality control for all work, and adherence to project budget, ensuring all onsite personnel comply with project procedures, health and safety program requirements, etc. Works effectively and efficiently with each project’s Project Manager as appropriate.
- Responsible for assuring projects meet all contractual requirements. Specifically, managing all employees, laborers, temporary employees and subcontractors and other necessary personnel as required by the contract. Manages all project subordinates, including coaching, counseling, training, regular appraisal, performance management and has significant say in hiring and firing decisions.
- Plan, coordinate and supervise all onsite functions (scheduling and material control).
- Responsible for maintenance of records on all safety violations, notifying project management, and recommends and implements corrective actions as required. Establishes and executes training plains for assigned employees.
- Responsible for the productivity of craft and other laboring personnel, efficient use of materials & equipment, and overall performance of the project in accordance with the contracts.
- Responsible for adhering to all safety protocols.
- Daily attendance is required.
- Acts as company liaison with clients, municipalities, design consultants, OSHA inspectors, other contractors, surrounding neighbors, subcontractors, government authorities, suppliers, etc. Maintains good relationship and communication with each project’s Project Manager.
- May authorize and/or approve project personnel selections, purchase requisitions, field design change requests, etc. Manage and document all necessary paperwork for Project Manager.
- Provide technical assistance, i.e., interpretations of drawings, clarification, coordination, recommending construction methods, installation and ordering of materials/equipment, etc. as required. Provide quality standards. Assign personnel to projects along with management and Project Managers. Work closely with Project Managers for material and equipment procurement.
- Assist project management in developing and implementing project procedures, working documents, standards, etc.
- Attend weekly OAC meetings and quarterly status meetings.
- Perform additional assignments as required by the operating needs of the Company or as per the Regional Managers, Project Managers or General Superintendents direction.
- Works under minimal supervision
- Project Engineers
- Assistant Superintendents
- Excellent knowledge and proficiency in scheduling, managing a budget, procurement of materials and equipment, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of safety protocols and OSHA regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction procedures and methods. Thorough understanding of building codes and current industry standards
- Understanding of “Green” building techniques and systems
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and oral skills, general management skills preferably in construction
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines/schedule
- Excellent math skills
- Highly organized
- Ability to adhere to and maintain a budget
- Ability to read and interpret a contract
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to work with constant interruptions and multi-task at high levels.
- Ability to assess and resolve conflict
- Ability to review, compare and coordinate drawings and specifications provided by different design teams in order to meet the client’s needs and avoid conflicts between systems
- Ability to lead a team of subcontractors and see to it that all parties are productive and able to perform their scope of work without delay
- 4 year degree in construction management or a similar degree, or a combination of technical training and/or related experience
- 5+ years’ experience in overall construction project supervision. A background in trades, carpentry, concrete, estimating, framing, laborer are all beneficial.
Work Environment/Physical Activities
- Must understand vague and implicit instructions, and react favorably in all work situations. Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people. Is frequently called upon to handle difficult situations.
- Must be able to deal with a variety of emotions and frustrations in making business decisions. Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this person.
- Must handle novel and diverse work problems on a daily basis.
- Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to analyze causes of interpersonal conflict and resolve complex communication issues (i.e., undefined roles, objectives and information gaps).
- Must have a long attention span in order to listen to people, perceive the real problems and bring issues to a successful conclusion.
- Ability to give, receive and analyze information, formulate work plans, prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans. Must understand people and be able to communicate effectively with them.
- Frequent mobility and or sitting required for extended periods of time. Some bending and stooping required. Requires occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds of boxes or paper. Requires manual dexterity to operate computer, keyboard, calculator, copier machine and other office equipment. Requires corrected vision to read numbers, reports, and computer terminals. Requires hearing within normal range for telephone use. Occasional high stress work may require dealing with customers/clients.
- Requires vision correctable to within the normal range and to operation of forklift and heavy equipment.
- Requires hand-eye coordination sufficient to operate machinery such as truck or forklift.
- Field environment – spends considerable amount of time in all weather conditions.
- Job requires visitation and/or work at offices, client or job sites, so must be able to drive or to use alternative transportation services to assure timely attendance for such work visits.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
- Asta Power Project Scheduling
- Microsoft 365